Finance Minutes – 6th December 2021
Uploaded on January 4, 2022
PADDOCK WOOD TOWN COUNCIL
The Podmore Building, St Andrew’s Road, Paddock Wood, TN12 6HT
Telephone: 01892 837373
MINUTES OF A MEETING OF THE FINANCE COMMITTEE HELD on Monday 6th December 2021, in the Day Centre Commercial Road at 7.00 pm
PRESENT: Cllr M Flashman, in the Chair
Cllr H. Atkins, R. Atkins, S. Hamilton (arrived F27) R. Moon,
- Turk, C. Williams
IN ATTENDANCE: Mrs N Reay, Town Clerk
F20 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
There were no declarations of interest.
F21 MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING
The minutes from the previous meeting held on 9th August 2021 were APPROVED.
F22 UPDATE FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES
Accounts with the Nationwide, Hampshire Trust Bank and Cambridge building Society have been set up. However, the Town Council does not qualify for the FSCA Scheme as it budget is more £428,901.
The current balance in the reserve accounts as of 31st October 2021 is as follows:
F24 CURRENT ACCOUNT
The balance of the current account as of the 31st October 2021 = £198,893.57
F25 RPI & CPI
According to the Office of National Statistics the figures for
September: RPI = 4.9% CPI = 3.1%.
October RPI = 6% CPI = 4.2%
F26 FEES and TARIFFS
Members discussed whether the council should have a fixed policy on increasing its fees and tariffs.
Cllr R Atkins proposed, Cllr H Atkins seconded:
That the council increases it fees by the September CPI, unless facilities have been improved, in which case the fees should be further reviewed.
CARRIED 5 in favour 1 abstention
F27 STAFF SALARIES
The clerks are paid according to the SLCC pay scales and the Estates Staff are paid at a locally agreed rate, although salaries are in line with the recommended rates from the GMA (formerly the IOG.) The National Joint Council has not announced any increases for 2021 but the council allowed 2% provision in its budget for all staff. The Personnel Committee has recommended a budgetary provision of 2% for the next budget year. The Committee has also requested £3000 be allocated for HR support going forward.
Cllr Moon proposed, Cllr Turk seconded:
That 3% increase should be allocated for budgetary purposes for 2022/23 for staff salaries.
Cllr Flashman proposed, Cllr Williams seconded:
£3,000 should be allocated for HR support.
(Cllr Hamilton arrived)
- a) In 2021/2022 the council appointed David Buckett as its internal auditor.
Cllr Flashman proposed, Cllr Flashman seconded:
that the council re-appoints Mr Buckett for the year 2022/2023.
- b) PKF Littlejohn have returned the council’s Annual Return with no issues raised. The relevant notices have been posted on the website and noticeboard outside the office.
- c) The Audit Fees for 2020/21 were increased as the council’s reserve fund took the fees into the next payment bracket. This is due to the S106 funding currently being held in the account.
(a) Existing Contracts – the contracts were noted.
(b) Every year the Council pays subscriptions to the following organisations:
Institute of Cemetery Management
Grounds Management Association (formerly IOG)
The Council has also agreed to pay the CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Accountant) Membership for the new RFO.
(c) The anticipated figures for the year end were NOTED.
(c) Members discussed the draft budget figures and notes for the 2022/2023 budget. Please note these figures will be finalised at the January meeting.
It was agreed that the following should be considered for the final budget:
- Increase the Advice Centre grant to £12000
- The council should increase its donation to the RBL for the poppy wreath
- £4000 for elections
- £20,000 for the Local Plan response, plus a further £5000 for general planning advice
- £6000 for tree planting
- £10000 for Jubilee Celebrations
- £5000 for the NP
- £60000 for the Community Centre to remain, any additional funds required for the 2022/23 to be taken from the reserves so as not to increase the precept. Members also raised the issue that the interest rates for PWLB could increase going forward which will impact on the repayments.
F30 DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The next meeting will be held on Monday 10th January 2022.
The meeting closed at 8 pm