PADDOCKWOOD TOWN COUNCIL
The Podmore Building, St Andrews Field, St Andrews Road
Paddock Wood, Kent, TN12 6HT
Telephone: 01892 837373
NOTICE OF A MEETING OF PADDOCK WOOD TOWN COUNCIL TO BE HELD ON MONDAY 20th September 2021 IN THE DAY CENTRE COMMERCIAL ROAD AT 7.45 PM
Residents do not need to attend a meeting to ask a question of the Council. Questions can be sent at any time to the Council offices using the details above.
QUESTIONS FROM RESIDENTS (15 minutes)
If any member of the public wishes to ask a question or make a statement in respect of the business on the agenda these should be submitted in advance. You can do this either in writing to or by telephoning the town council office 2 working days before the meeting. This will allow the relevant information to be gathered.
Where you are not able to submit questions in respect of business on the agenda 2 days in advance, in exceptional circumstances and at the discretion of the Chairman, you may be permitted to ask the question at the meeting. In this event a written or oral response will be provided later.
(Please see the Protocol for the public attending Town Council and Committee meetings, which can be found on the website.)
BOROUGH & COUNTY COUNCILLORS UPDATE (10 minutes)
Town Councillors should submit questions a week in advance, if possible, to the Borough/County Councillor concerned (copied to the Town Clerk).
C46 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
C47 MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING.
(a) To APPROVE the minutes of the meeting held on 19th July 2021.
(b) To NOTE the minutes of the Planning & Environment Committee meeting held on the 6th September 2021.
(c) The Estates Meeting due to be held on the 13th September 2021 had to be postponed.
(Draft minutes can be found on the Town Council website)
C48 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MINUTES
C39 (g) Parking Enforcement – BC Hamilton has forwarded the attached response following the members concerns about illegal parking in Commercial Road.
C49 MOTIONS FROM MEMBERS
The following motions for debate have been received under Standing Order 9.
Standing Order 1 b states “A motion (including an amendment) shall not be progressed unless it has been moved and seconded.”
- a) Cllr R Atkins – received on the 5th August 2021 and amended on the 6th August 2021.
For the Town Council to ask its residents if it wants to proceed with the community centre project.
- b) Cllr Hamilton – received 6th August 2021
I would like to propose that, given the current circumstances of economic uncertainty following the pandemic PWT Council asks TWBC as Planning Authority and the three developers who are providing 106 contributions for the community facility, to consent, in principle (subject to negotiation), to vary the terms of the agreements to allow flexibility and extend deadlines (by a reasonable time) in order to:
- Allow engagement with stakeholders, new residents and the Master Planning process so that current data is compiled and the market can be tested in order that any site or location is fit for purpose and public money is appropriately used.
2 Allow proper assessment and scrutiny, by engagement with competent persons and stakeholders, of the suitability of different locations to provide the facilities identified as required based on current evidence and data.
- Allow existing facilities to recover in the post COVID economic climate. For example School halls, Church halls, Masonic Hall, Wesley Centre and other providers.
C49 COMMUNITY CENTRE
- a) Borrowing Approval has been received from the Ministry of Communities, Housing & Local Government. The Town Council may now apply to the PWLB for the required loan.
- b) At a meeting of the Tunbridge Wells Borough Council Overview and Scrutiny Committee on Monday 26 July 2021 a petition relating to the Memorial Playing Field was considered in accordance with the Borough Council’s published Petition Scheme. The petition related to the Town Council’s plans for a new community centre on the Memorial Field. The Council Chairman & Mr Fred Lemont spoke on behalf of the project.
The O & S committee passed the following resolution.
“To forward to Paddock Wood Town Council, without prejudice, the petition and all submissions made to the Overview and Scrutiny Committee at its meeting on 26 July 2021.”
Details of the petition and the enclosures are attached for members consideration.
- c) Working Party – a newsletter has been distributed to all residents. It focusses on the Centre’s environmental sustainability. Cllr Mackie & Mr Lemont had attended the U3A open event to promote the project.
- d) The Planning Application is due to be considered by the TWBC Planning Committee on 22nd September 2021.
- e) The minutes of the board meeting held on 7th July 2021 are available on the website.
(If any members have any questions regarding the following item, would they please contact the Clerk prior to the meeting.)
(a) To NOTE the receipts lists
(b) To APPROVE the payments lists
C51 NEIGHBOURHOOD PLAN
An update will be provided at the meeting. The minutes of the meeting held on the 21st July 2021 are available on the website.
C52 REPORTS FROM REPRESENTATIVES
(a) Chairman’s meeting.
(b) Paddock Wood Business Association
(c) Bereko Committee
(e) Medway Valley Line
(f) Hop Pickers Line
(g) Youth Council
(h) Putlands Leisure Centre Liaison meeting
(i) Liaison Meeting with developers
(j) Strategic Sites Meeting & Future Development Plans
(k) Royal British Legion
C53 URGENT MATTER FROM THE POSTPONED ESTATES COMMITTEE
This matter has been added to the agenda as the PW & District Lions are waiting for a response so that they can proceed with bookings for next year.
PADDOCK WOOD CARNIVAL & ROCKIN’ IN THE REC
Paddock Wood & District Lions have contacted the Council seeking permission to move the Carnival ‘weekend’ to run on the Saturday and Sunday – with Rockin in the Rec taking place on Saturday evening and maintaining the finish time of 9:30pm and the Parade and Fete to be held on the Sunday. This would be a trial for next year.
Members views are sought.
C54 DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The next meeting will be held on Monday 18th October 2021.
Clerk to the Council
14th September 2021.