PADDOCK WOOD TOWN COUNCIL
The Podmore Building, St Andrew’s Road, Paddock Wood, TN12 6HT
Telephone: 01892 837373
MINUTES OF A MEETING OF THE FINANCE COMMITTEE HELD on Wednesday 21st June 2023 at the PADDOCK WOOD COMMUNITY CENTRE MAIDSTONE ROAD, at 7.45 p.m.
PRESENT: Cllr H Atkins, in the Chair
M Munday, N Maari, T. Mobbs, J Thompson,
IN ATTENDANCE: Mrs N Reay, Town Clerk,
Mrs T Maxwell, Responsible Financial Officer
APOLOGIES Cllr R. Atkins, D. Dray, D. Kent, R. Moon, C. Williams
F1 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
There were no declarations of interest.
F2 MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING
The minutes of the meeting held on Monday 12 December 2022 & 9th January 2023
F3 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MINUTES
a) F31.3 – Allotment rents – the Estates committee had met with the allotment managers and rents would be increased to £40/plot from April 2024.
F33 – Estates Van, The Estates Committee is still trying to source an appropriate van. In the meantime, the Estates Manager had contacted Ton Hire and a larger van would be £490/month which is more than had been allowed for in the budget.
b) The Bank Mandate forms have been submitted to Unity Trust Bank & signatories will be contacted by the bank to set up the authorisations. Once all signatories are active a rota will be set up.
F4 INTERNAL AUDITORS REPORT
Members reviewed the auditor’s report which showed all risks as low, and no issues needed addressing. The RFO drew members attention the following comments which the auditor made:
- This would be David Buckett’s final year auditing the accounts. The Council would need to appoint a new internal auditor for 23/24.
- Mazars had been appointed as the new external auditors.
- Estates staff needed a playground inspection refresher course – the Clerk advised that a suitable course had been identified in Sittingbourne in October.
- Some policies need to be updated on the website.
- To allow the RFO and/or Town Clerk authority to carry out internal transfers between the Unity Trust Bank Accounts. This would allow the bulk of the Council’s funds to remain in the interest-bearing account but allow the RFO to transfer funds between the accounts as required.
Cllr H Atkins proposed, Cllr Maari seconded:
That the Town Clerk and RFO are given authority to make internal transfers between Unity Trust Bank accounts. A minimum of balance of £20,000 should be left in the current account.
- Notice dates of audit are Monday 26th June – 4 August.
- Some parishes use Sharepoint which is compatible with Office 365 for managing and sharing data files. The RFO advised that she was exploring options. The lack of WiFi in the Day Centre was a problem. She had explored the possibility of a portable Wi-Fi and it was agreed that this may be the way forward. This would be put to the next full council meeting for consideration.
Members asked for their thanks to be passed on to Mr Buckett for his work over the years.
F5 BUDGET 2023/24
Members received a copy of the budget figures to date.
F6 BANK RECONCILIATION
Members noted the bank reconciliation, and the Chairman signed it.
Members noted the attached reserve statement.
The following item was item was deferred from meeting held on the 9th January 2023, and may exempt from the press and public as it will involve reviewing the Hire Agreement.
Members discussed the current licence to for the hall and costs. It was agreed that
Proposals should be put to the next town council meeting before discussing with the tenant.
F9 DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The next meeting will be held on Monday 27th November at 7.45 pm.
The meeting closed at 10 pm.