PADDOCK WOOD TOWN COUNCIL
The Podmore Building, St Andrews Road, Paddock Wood
Tonbridge, Kent, TN12 6HT
Telephone: 01892 837373
MINUTES OF A MEETING OF THE ESTATES COMMITTEE held on Monday 13th June 2022 in the Day Centre Commercial Road at 7.45 pm
PRESENT: Cllr D Boyle, in the Chair
Cllr H Atkins, R. Atkins, (from item E5) T. Bisdee, M Flashman, A Mackie, R. Moon, D Sargison
IN ATTENDANCE: Mrs N Reay, Town Clerk
Mr C Smith, Estates Manager
APOLOGY: Cllr R Turk
ES1 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
There were no declarations of interest.
ES2 ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN AND VICE CHAIRMAN
- Cllr Flashman proposed, Cllr Moon seconded:
That Cllr Boyle should be- re-elected Chairman
CARRIED 7 in favour, 1 abstention
- The following nominations were received:
Cllr Turk – proposed Cllr Moon, seconded by Cllr Flashman
Cllr H Atkins – proposed by Cllr Bisdee, not seconded
Cllr Turk was elected vice-chairman
5 in favour, 1 against, 1 abstention
ES3 MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING
The minutes of the meeting held on 9th May 2022 were APPROVED
ES4 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MINUTES
- a) ES90 UKPN had started the work at Green Lane.
- b) ES92 the Estates Manager had discussed with Southern Water the planting of the trees at Green Lane. This had been arranged for Friday 17th June 2022
- c) C95 – Radio Fibre are unable to attend the meeting. As they are based in Devon they have offered a Zoom meeting with members to discuss this further. A meeting would be arranged.
- d) ES96 – the Full Council had approved the appointment of an agency worker for the summer months. It was hoped to have someone in post by the following week. This would be kept under review by the Committee with a view to a full-time member of staff being appointed for 2023.
- e) Drains to the rear of the Memorial Field – the additional drainage work which had previously been agreed by the committee has taken longer than expected due to the discovery of some buried asbestos and the need the exercise caution when digging around the tree roots. The access via Ringden Avenue should be re-opened by Wednesday 15th June 2022.
ES5 WILDLIFE AREAS
(Cllr R Atkins arrived during this item)
At the Annual Town Meeting at local resident raised the issue of increasing the number of wild areas on town council land. Attached are the current areas which are left unmown. It is intended to plant a wildflower meadow at the end of Green Lane one the UKPN work is completed.
Members reviewed the areas which are currently left wild and agreed the following additions:
- The area where poppies grew on Green Lane Field would be retained – although it may be too late for this year.
- A strip of approximately 3 m would be left around all the fields, where practical to allow the grasses to grow
- The open space at the end of Green Lane would be developed as a wildflower meadow once all the work by UKPN was completed
Members also discussed a tree planting scheme which was planned for the Jubilee Year.
It was agreed that Cllrs Bisdee & Sargison would liaise with the Estates Manager to discuss suitable species and locations throughout the council’s estate and will report back at the July meeting.
ES6 JUBILEE BENCH
Paddock Wood Youth Council have asked if the Town Council would fund from its Jubilee Budget a commemorative bench.
Members discussed styles and location and it was agreed that the Platinum Jubilee Captain’s seat should be installed at Putlands and include the following:
Jubilee logo & the following words “To commemorate the Platinum Jubilee Community Picnic organised by Paddock Wood Town & Youth Council
It was also agreed that some benches should be purchased for the Memorial Field to be placed alongside the new community centre. One to be a Jubilee Bench and another a RBL Remembrance bench. Designs would be obtained for the next meeting for consideration
ES7 CEMETERY RULES
Cllr Boyle proposed, Cllr H Atkins seconded:
That the cemetery rules with the amendments should be adopted
The Estates Manager was asked to review the planting in the New Garden of Remembrance to see if some roses could be planted.
ES8 TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE FOR PLAYING FIELDS AND PAVILIONS
Members considered the draft Terms and Conditions and agreed the following amendments:
Policy for Hire of Public Open Spaces- clause 2 include Charity events
Annex A – Clause 2 remove the statement “without stating the reason” to say that “the Committee’s decision is final”
Cllr Boyle proposed, Cllr Bisdee seconded:
That the T & Cs should be accepted with the above amendments
ES9 TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE FOR THE DAY CENTRE
To review the revised terms and conditions.
This item was held over as the documents were not available
ES10 PADDOCK WOOD CARNIVAL & FUNFAIR
Shaws Fun Fair has requested permission to open to the public on Thursday 7th July 2022 for the annual fun fair.
Concern was raised due to the complaints of bad language the previous year.
Cllr Boyle proposed, Cllr H Atkins seconded:
That permission should be given, but if there are any further complaints then the council will reserve the right to refuse permission in the future.
ES11 ESTATES MANAGER’S REPORT
Member received the Estates Manager’s report.
The Estates Manager advised that they would be starting on the hedges. Concerns had been raised about the Old Church Yard hedges and the war graves. This would be looked at. It was also requested that the location of the unmarked German War Graves should be checked.
ES12 DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The next meeting will take place on Monday 11th July 2022.